Breaking

Friday, June 1, 2018

Learn Gerund and Gerund Phrase

What-is-a-gerund?

A gerund is a form of a verb that functions as a noun. It looks like a verb but acts like a noun.

Like a participle, a gerund always ends in – ING. But the difference between a gerund and a participle is based on their functions: a participle functions exactly like an adjective whereas a gerund functions exactly like a noun. 

Anything a noun can do, a gerund can do.

Thus a gerund can function in all of these ways.
  • Subject
  • Direct Object
  • A subject of Compliment
Now let us try to spot the gerund in the following examples.

Playing allows my brother to relax.

The first thing we’ve got to do is to look at “ING” word, now ask yourself what the sentence is about – clearly playing. 

Playing is functioning as the subject of the sentence.

Tip to recognize a gerund

When you find an “ING” word in a sentence, substitute another word which is clearly a noun, if the sentence makes sense, then you've got a gerund. 

Let’s try it for the above example. I’m gonna substitute the word vacation in place of playing. Here we go:
Vacation allows my brother to relax.
It is clearly seen that the sentence still makes sense, isn’t it? It means playing is our gerund.

Now let us look at the other examples.
I always enjoy teaching.
You can see through the sentence for “ING” word, here watching is the only “ING” word and it functions as a direct object. 

Is it a gerund? 
You can check it out by replacing the word with any other noun as mentioned above.

Ex: My favorite hobby is blogging.
Here the word blogging functions as a compliment.

Gerund Phrase

A gerund phrase is a gerund and all the words that modify or compliment it.

The words that seem to belong to gerund to help complete its meaning make up a gerund phrase and this whole phrase will function exactly like a noun’s function. 

You can use your substitution principle here as well. For example:
Playing sports keeps us physically fit.

Look for the “ING” word, playing.

Now playing what? Playing sports!

Sport is a modifier which modifies the word playing. Therefore, “Playing sports” is our gerund phrase. The whole phrase functions as a subject. We can substitute a simple noun such as “Cricket”, to see if the sentence yet makes sense. Off course, it does! Thus we’ve proved that it is a gerund phrase.

Ex: I thoroughly enjoyed Peterson’s magnificent batting.

Our gerund is obviously “batting”, but is it a part of the gerund phrase?
We know that gerunds are always nouns; we can see “magnificent” modifies our noun “batting”.
What kind of batting?

Magnificent batting!

And Peterson’s is a possessive adjective also modifies batting – noun. Thus our whole gerund phrase is “Peterson’s magnificent batting”. 

This whole phrase functions as “Direct Object” of the sentence.

As a final check, let us substitute another word such as “golf”, I thoroughly enjoyed golf. Again we’ve proven that this is a gerund phrase.




13 comments:

  1. Really simple explanations with straightforward examples. Some new knowledge to spice up my English writing and speaking. This was an insightful lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very helpful and simplified example of the nouns. This is a great guide for teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! I remember studying about gerunds and gerund phrases back in grade school. Although I hated it, it was quite easy to get them right. And you've explained this even better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really informative article you did a great job of explaining the process! A brilliant and helpful post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of this before, or else I have completely forgotten! How interesting to learn more about the English language!

    ReplyDelete
  6. English is my second language so I always love the opportunity to learn more and improve.I didn't have a clue about gerund, although reading about it makes me realise that i know this from my language. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! It's a post that's great for everyone who would like to learn more about the English language and distinguish how words are used in sentences.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh! These are great explanations. Sometimes English is hard to understand - even for native speakers. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As I am not a native speaker, this post comes very handy.Learning English it`s not hard, only tricky.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is very interesting. I had not even heard of this before, but now I feel a little more aware.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah the gerund and the fine intricacies of grammar. Wow this really takes me back when I was in high school, teaching high school that is.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had never even heard of this! Great explanation and super interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is very informative, I have no idea about this but thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete